Aromatherapy, also known as essential oil treatment, is a holistic practice that uses natural plant extracts to promote health and well-being. The practice works through the sense of smell and skin absorption, as the essential oils from these plant extracts enter the body to enhance both mind and spirit.
Humans have used aromatherapy for thousands of years. Ancient cultures in China, India, Egypt, and elsewhere incorporated aromatic plant components in resins, balms, and oils. These natural substances were used for medical and religious purposes. They were known to have both physical and psychological benefits.
At WFH, we have painstakingly selected oils and natural plant products to promote specific aromas. In the Flow candle, we utilize essential oils of rosemary, peppermint, geranium, and eucalyptus in order to encourage brain activity, and promote focus and concentration.
- Native to the Mediterranean, Rosemary Essential Oil is derived from the aromatic herb Rosmarinus Officinalis, a family which also includes Basil and Lavender. It receives its name from the Latin term “dew of the sea.”
- Rosemary was thought to be sacred by ancient Egyptians and Greeks, who used it to improve memory.
- Rosemary is the perfect pick-me-up. In addition to improving memory retention, many feel it has properties that help fight headaches and exhaustion.
- Mentha piperita, or Peppermint, is a perennial herb that originated in the Mediterranean but now also grows in Italy, Japan, and the UK.
- Its essential oil has been called one of the most versatile oils in the world. The active components of Menthol and Menthone are believed to invigorate, energize, and promote the wellness of body and mind.
- Peppermint is an energy booster, and a great scent to have around while brainstorming. It is thought to promote concentration and stimulate clear thinking.
- The Geranium shrub is indigenous to South Africa, but now cultivated across regions in Egypt, Europe, and Japan.
- Geranium’s Pelargonium graveolens species is most commonly cultivated for its sweet-smelling essential oil.
- Geranium Essential Oil reduces stress, anxiety, and tension. It is also believed to enhance concentration and improve cognitive function.
- Eucalyptus originated in Australia, and spread to regions like China, Greece, and India where its oils have been used as a traditional and natural medicine for centuries.
- The 500+ species of Eucalyptus share a fresh, clean, crisp camphor-like scent
- Eucalyptus globulus, is a cleansing and clarifying oil that many feel has productivity-boosting powers as well. In addition to its refreshing and rejuvenating effect, it may increase blood flow to the brain.